Julia and me

10:26 PM

" This is a book for the servantless American cook who can be unconcerned on occasion with budgets, waistlines, time schedules, children's meals, etc..."  This  is the first sentence in the forward of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking"


Me, I'm not a movie critic, but I have to give the new Movie "Julia and Julie" 2 big thumbs up.  Mind you I might be a bit prejudice.  I do love Cooking, France and Julia Child.  I am lucky enough to have in my possession "The Book" (mastering the art of french cooking)  Some years back as I was helping my mother in law clean out, wash up and organize her kitchen.  She gave me her copy of " Mastering the art of french cooking"  The book is well loved and used.  after all it's a 6th edition and was printed in 1964.   

I won't and can't compare myself with Julia Child.  But as she did I spent some time in France.  And like her wanted to find things to do to fill my days while the children were in school.  I'd browse the numerous Marches. For example the Versailles Marches was
on Tuesdays and Sunday.  St. Germain Wednesday and Saturday.  I learned not to touch the fruit or veggies but simply point and let the vendor touch.  I too took many cooking classes.  One was in the basement of the Ritz.  But my favorite was a two week course taught by  young American chief who once was the personal chef to the Rothchilds.  Four of us cooked every day in her small  kitchen.  I learned allot but mostly I Cherish the memories.

Well on to my favorite recipes in Julia's book.   I will share them periodically, but since I've been so inspired by the movie I'll share my top five in the next two weeks.  Here we go....


MOUSSELINE  AU CHOCOLAT

4 egg yolks
3/4 cups fine sugar
6 oz semi sweet baking chocolate
1 1/2 sticks softened unsalted butter
pinch of salt
1 tbs. sugar


Beat the egg yolk and sugar until the mixture is thick, pale yellow and falls back on itself foaming a slowly dissolving ribbon.  Then set mixing bowl over the not quite simmering water and continue beating for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is foamy and too hot for your finger.  Then beat over bowl of cold water for 3- 4 minutes until the mixture in cool and again forms the ribbon.  It will have the consistency of mayonnaise.  

Melt the chocolate over warm water.. remove from heat and beat in butter a bit at a time, to make a smooth cream.  Beat chocolate into egg yolk mixture.

Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks are formed: sprinkle on the sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.  Stir in 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.  Fold in the rest.

Refrigerate at least 2 hours or over night.  Can be served with whipped cream.  Bon appetite

* please don't use your generic chocolate chips.  Like the forward says this book and the recipes in it are for the occasional splurge.  So go out and buy a really good chocolate! 

You Might Also Like

3 comments