Boiled Alive! -asparagus

9:29 AM


Boiled Alive!

A sure sign that spring here, and Easter is near is the price of asparagus. Now that the price is manageable and the Asparagus is in season, take this opportunity to use it in many dishes. I will give you a couple of asperagus recipes I use.
My mom was a fabulous cook. But she like many women of her era over cooked their vegetables. Well Asparagus is no execution. My mom used to boil her Asparagus to death! When the asparagus come out it was mussy and limp. My most favorite way to cook asparagus is to roast it. Roasting retains the color, and enhances the flavor.

Roasted Asparagus
1 lb Asparagus'
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tsp. kosher salt

All the above ingredients are not exact amounts. Preheat oven to 450. Wash Asparagus and trim off hard woody bottoms. Lay asparagus in cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Salt. Roast in the oven for about 10 minutes. While roasting, shake the pan a few times so asparagus is cooking evenly.

Now you can just munch it down, or I have my all time favorite salad I use asparagus in. It would make a wonderful Easter dinner salad or nice spring salad.


Shrimp And Asparagus Salad with Chive Aioli
serves 6-8
Dressing
2 cups mayo
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
2 Tbs. water
2 garlic cloves, minced

Whisk together dressing ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Make early in the day so flavors can blend.

1 Lb asparagus (roasted)
Lettuce, I like a nice spring mix
1 lb cooked shrimp
cherry tomatoes halfed

A note about lettuce. I like a nice head of leaf lettuce, so I can wash it my self. I really don't like bagged lettuce. I don't think they are washed well or are fresh. Plus it's alot cheaper to wash your own. One Items you need is a Salad spinner. They are inexpensive and wonderful for spinning dry almost anything. Ok back to the recipe...
Place lettuce on plates. Arrange shrimp, tomatoes and asperagus on top of the lettuce. Drizzle on dressing... It will be a hit.
This week I will post a couple of other asparagus recipes. Plus we will see how my own asparagus patch is doing. I also have to show off my French asparagus dish. No not a recipe, but an actual dish used only for serving asparagus. Got to love the French!

Cheers, Peggy

You Might Also Like

2 comments