CREAMY WHITE CHILI

9:57 PM

As I look outside at the rain, yes I said rain.  I agree rain in January in Utah is weird, strange and bizarre. Luckily it's snowing in the mountains.  I still miss the snow in my yard, not to mention to much rain isn't great for the Lavender.  Anyway it's' certainly a good day for a nice hot bowl of Chili.  My friend Mel gave me her cookbook for Christmas.  It was a group effort by her and some friends.  I don't know about the other gals but Mel is an awesome cook.  So I knew I could find something good in her cookbook.  And I did,  the recipe for "Creamy White Chili" is a definite winner.  My family said is was blog worthy, so I had to share.  Isn't Super Bowl sunday coming up.  This would be a real crowd pleaser.  I doubled this recipe and plan on taking the other half to a friend.  It would also freeze well.  Happy new year, and happy cooking.   Bon Appetite,  Peggy


CREAMY WHITE CHILI

1 lb. chicken
1 med. onion chopped
1 clove garlic
1 Tbs. veg. oil
1 can 14 oz chicken broth
2 cans 15 oz white beans, drained
1 can 4oz diced green chilies
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half and half
a couple dashes of tabasco
taste to correct seasonings

In a large heavy pan heat oil and add onions, chicken and garlic.  Sauté until chicken is no longer pink.  Add broth, beans, spices and chilies, Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and half and half.  We crumbled tortilla chips in the bottom of our bowl for an added texture.  yum

* I used low fat sour cream and non-fat half and half

You Might Also Like

2 comments