LEMON MERINGUE PIE

9:48 AM



Yum, Lemon Meringue pie.  This long time family favorite has hit the spot for generations.
I may have said this before but, I'm a pie maker. I guess you could say it's my forte', my happy place. It     all started with my mom, the worlds BEST pie maker.  My sister and I had our own little metal pie tins.  So when mom made a pie so did we.  Rolling out the dough and helping to make the filling.




I mentioned this pie, and other have hit the spot for generations, well I'm not kidding.  This cook book is the evidence.  My mom once told me the cookbook came with a new oven she got when my brother Bruce was a baby.  Now my brother Bruce is older than dirt! well in his late 60's anyway.  As you can tell from the pages, this book has seen it's share of pie making.  Every spot, every splatter was put there with love.  Love of family, and love of cooking.


I don't use my book to often anymore.  All the recipes are on my computer , and in our family cookbook.  I really want this book to be around for another couple of generations. Just the other day I made cream puffs. I decided to use a recipes I found on line.  Big mistake. They didn't turn out great.   I should have used the recipe in this book.  The cream puff recipe I've used for 30 years.  I don't pull out the book to often. But When I make pies I always use grandma Blackwelders wooden board.  Now that is way OLDER  than dirt!

 Happy pie making,   Peggy




Lemon Meringue Pie




1, Mix thoroughly in a medium sized heavy bottomed pan

     6 Tbs. cornstarch
     6 Tbs. flour
     2 cups sugar
     1/2 tsp. salt

2, Add stirring constantly

     3 cups boiling water

3,  Stir until thickened.  Turn heat to low and let cook (it will look like the hot pots in Yellowstone park) for about 10 minutes. Stir on occasion, so lumps don't appear.

4, Stir in 3 egg yolks  (reserving whites for the meringue top) Mix egg yolks in a small bowl add some of the filling to eggs before you add them to the whole pan.  This warms the eggs up. so you wont have cooked egg in your filling.

5, Cook two more minutes stirring constantly

6,  Remove from heat and add, and stir to combine.

     8 Tbs. fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
     grated rind of two lemons
     4 Tbs. butter cut into chunks

7,  Fill cooked pie crust, cover with meringue and bake meringue.




Meringue

Beat your 3 egg whites, and 1/4 tsp. cream of tatar in a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer.  When the eggs get frothy, add 6 Tbs. sugar, one Tbs. at a a time.  Mix well. until stiff peaks form.  Top your pie with the meringue and bake in a 325 oven until the meringue is nice and browned








You Might Also Like

2 comments