Peggy's Leek & Potato Soup

6:42 AM

Peggy has so many wonderful dishes in her repertoire. Her leek and potato soup has to be my absolute favorite. I could drink gallons of this like a diesel truck drinks fuel. If I could fill a swimming pool with this soup, I totally would. Its creamy and full of amazing comfort flavors. I just want to keep saying "this is sooooo delicious!" the entire time I'm eating this soup. It's the perfect cozy fall soup. 


Ingredients: 
3 tablespoons butter
2 slices bacon, chopped
2 large leeks, (the white part only) chopped
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs of thyme 
15-20 peppercorns (can sub pepper to taste)
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup heavy cream (can sub whole milk)

Directions:
In a heavy pan, melt your butter and add your bacon. Cook bacon until crisp and all the fat is rendered off into the pan. Add your leeks and potatoes to the pan and cook until your leeks are soft. Add your wine, stock, bay leaves, & thyme.  Tie your peppercorns in a cheesecloth bundle with the green parts of the leek and add that to the pot too. Simmer until the potatoes are very soft. You can then blend the soup with an emersion blender until its creamy with just a few chunks. Remove from heat and cool slightly before adding your cream (so your cream doesn't curdle) or temper your cream before adding it to the hot soup. Reheat slowly and salt and pepper to taste. 

Serve with bread, or the Nelson favorite is to pair this soup with crab. 


I've said it once, but I will say it a million times. This soup is sooooooo good. Creamy, full of comforting flavors, and the perfect velvety texture. Make this today and I dare you not to fall in love with it. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments