IT'S ALL GREEK TO ME

4:47 PM

I love , love Greek food. In high school I was lucky enough to have a greek friend, who introduced me culinary delights of Greek cuisine. While a high school senior her mother taught me how to make "Baclava", I still make it every Christmas. I also remember our families trip the Greece. We stayed at the local Hyatt. But as we were walking around the neighborhood we discovered a local restaurant, not intended for tourist. It was a best greek food I have ever eaten. I saw this recipe on the new "OWN" network. It is a recipe from Christina Ferrare's cooking show. It is fabulous. I must say a special thanks for Stewart (our Lamb) for giving his life for this yummy recipe. enjoy!


GYRO

1 lb. ground lamb
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup panko crumbs
2 Tbs. mayo
salt, pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. Cheyenne pepper
3 tbs. olive oil

Method:
Very simple. Combine all the above ingredients, except the olive oil. Form into logs, or if you will, a fat cigar. Heat olive oil. Brown gyros on all sides and cook until done. About 10 minutes. Place Gyro in a fresh slightly heat pita. Top with Istiki sauce (recipe below). Serves 5-6

TZATZIKI SAUCE

2 cups plain greek yogurt
1 large chopped peeled cucumber
zest from 1 lemon
3-4 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic crushed
1 Tbs. olive oil

Mix all of the above ingredients. (Taste good on anything)


You Might Also Like

2 comments