BEAUTIFUL BEETS

8:34 AM


Beautiful and tasty beets.  Every year I have to grow a row of beets.  There are many different varieties, colors and taste.  Above I have detroit reds and Chacogga (white and red stripe).  If you have read any of my previous post you know I am a real fan of roasting veggies.  Beets are not the exception.  Most people boil beets, pickle beets.  But have you ever eaten roasted beets ? they are divine.  Again roasting them brings out a delicious flavor you can't achieve by boiling.  When I roast beets I do quite a few, they are a delicious snack.  I have one of my favorite beet recipes below.   Your local farmers market is flooded with beets right now.  If you've told yourself you don't like beets, try therm this way.  I think you'll change your mind.    Bon Appetite,   Peggy



ROASTED BEETS SALAD


4 Tbs. olive oil (divided)
5 medium beets  peeled and sliced (reserve stems)
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1 Tbs. chopped shallots or green onion
beet greens , washed , dried and chopped
1 bunch of leaf lettuce (red leaf, butter)
1 recipe of Orange vinaigrette (below)
1/2 cup toasted walnuts


Preheat oven to 425.  Toss beets with 3 Tbs. olive oil and salt.  arrange single layer on a cookie sheet.  Roast beets for 30 minutes until a light golden color and caramelized. (watch so they don't burn)  If your beets  had a  nice fresh stems, choose the young smaller stems to saute.  Wash and dry stems.  Heat remaining  Tbs.  of olive oil and saute onions until soft.  Add beet stems and cook until just wilted.  (If you don't have fresh young stems this part can be skipped).  Wash and dry lettuce.  When beets and sautéed greens are cooled toss with lettuce and vinaigrette.  Sprinkle with toasted walnuts.    


ORANGE VINAIGRETTE


This recipe originally called for a "Blood Orange".  I have yet to find a blood orange in Cache Valley.  If you can, use a blood orange the color and taste are delicious. But if your like me and a blood orange is hard to find than a regular orange is delicious too.


3 Tbs. white wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbs. finely chopped shallots
2 Tbs. chopped parsley
2 Tbs, chopped chives
I put in a little of the orange zest to enhance the orange flavor


Place all ingredients in a jar and shake !









You Might Also Like

1 comments