HUNGER GAMES STEW

8:38 PM



I can't resist getting in on the Hunger Games frenzy.  I must admit I'm a late comer.  I just finished the book and loved all 374 pages.  Food was a very important part of the book particularly the lack of food, the searching for food and the stuffing ones-self full of food.  One dish that is talked about more than once is the Lamb stew with dried plums.  Now lets face it, dried plum is a nice name from "prunes".  I love prunes.  So this got me thinking about a meal we had more than once in France in our favorite medieval city "Chartres."  The restaurant across from the Grand Cathedral served the best pork dish with prunes.  So here I am taking the flavors of years ago and making a delicious lamb stew.  And it is delicious, if I don't say so myself.  I've heard of more than one "Hunger Games" parties going on.  If your having one or just curling up with the book what's more appropriate than making a pot of "Hunger Games Stew!"
                                                             Bon Appetite,  Peggy



Lamb Stew with dried Plums


1 Lb. pork, cut into uniform cubes
1 Lb. lamb, cut into uniform cubes
salt and pepper
2 onions chopped
2 Tbs. Butter
2 Tbs. veg. oil
2 cans chicken stock (14.5 oz)
1 cup water
2 cinnamon sticks each 2-3 inches long
1 cup pitted dried plums
2 Tbs, honey
2 Tsp. fresh lemon juice

In a Large pan melt butter and vegetable oil.   Salt and pepper pork and lamb. (this recipes is very versatile you can use all pork or all lamb. Again I say thanks to stewart, our lamb for giving his life for this fine meal).  Saute pork until browned,  Remove from pan.  Next Sauté lamb until browned.  Remove from pan and add chopped onions and sauté until soft and slightly brown.  Return meat to pan along with any accumulated juices and saute a few more minutes.  Add chicken stock, water and cinnamon.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cover and simmer  for about 1 1/2 hrs until meat is very tender.  Add plums and continue to cook for 30-40 minutes.   With a slotted spoon remove plums  from the pan, reserve.  Add honey and lemon juice.  Continue to cook until juice are reduced and delicious.  Taste to correct seasonings.  Serve over brown rice.   Seres 4-5

*note.  You can serve this stew with or without the plums.    I think the plums give a really wonderful extra flavor.



You Might Also Like

2 comments